Lessons of April
In Love with Our Planet
Dedicated to Mother Earth, Arbor Day, April 30th (1872) and Earth Day, April 22nd (1970)
both proclaim the wisdom of ecology. In his splendid encyclical “Laudato Si”, Pope Francis
outlined the vital need for a renewal of respect and care for our fragile and beautiful earth.
Left: The 1958 motherhouse. Two storied, with a large wing on the three other sides,
and a chapel as a fifth wing running from the front entrance to the rear wing.
Right: In the Gardens At Palmdale the southern pond with its marvelous fountain was
part of the 1958 motherhouse grounds. It is now part of the lovely park enjoyed by the public.
Left: From behind the Holy Family statue the oratory and portions of another cottage
can be glimpsed. The cottages are solar paneled.
Right: A new cottage seen from one of the bioswales where a statue of the Holy Family
stands amidst plants that begin the process for filtering runoff water.
In 2018 the sisters’ new Green Building Standards housing was being completed. The 3 new cottages, replacing
the large, two storied motherhouse, were built to be cost-effective, energy efficient and healthier places to live.
The grounds even contain bioswales, an alternative form of drainage that filters run-off water, and protects the
natural water cycle.
At the same time, Holy Family was also in the midst of a long process to preserve the magnificent landscape (at
one time their front garden) as a park open to the public. The Congregation created an endowment to maintain
“The Gardens at Palmdale” in perpetuity.
The Sisters of the Holy Family are committed to creation care.